Monday, March 25, 2013

Matsuri - Prince of Tennis - Oneshot


“Taka!? Where is Taka!? Where did he disappear off to!?” Kuririn freaked out when she turned around and lost their son amidst the crowd of people. She was holding his hand for one second, while carrying his two-year old sister, Masako, on the other hand and the next moment, he was gone. “Masaharu! We lost our son!”

“Relax, he probably just found something interesting and ran off, he’ll reappear just before the fireworks.”

“How can you be so calm? What if he went missing!? He’s only six! I am going to look for him. Here, hold on to Masako!” she said and shoved Masako into his arms and quickly disappeared into the crowd yelling out Masataka’s name.

“Mommy is such a worry-wart isn’t she?” he said with a sigh to his silver-haired, gray-eyed daughter. Masako only nodded and leaned down to rest on her father’s shoulder. A moment later, Kuririn reappeared, looking flustered.

“On second thought, I will hold on to Masako too,” she said and took her daughter off Niou’s arms, “Lest you teach her something funny.”

“I told you to relax and trust me,” he said, reaching out for Masako, but Kuririn had already turned around and disappeared once more into the crowd. Niou let out a frustrated sigh and went to sit in a nearby bench. Ever since that dream she had where Masataka died and he left her, it just got harder and harder to break the ice around her.

That wasn’t the reason why he never married her. He had long decided to never leave her side no matter what happened. If only she can see that. The reason why he never married her was because he was… scared. Scared that he will not be enough to bring her happiness.




“Oniichan,” Masako said and pointed to the pond. Kuririn quickly looked over to where her daughter pointed and sighed in relief when she saw the messy blue hair of Masataka. He was busy watching people fishing out trout in this cold weather.

“Taka!” she yelled and rushed over. Masataka looked up at his mother.

“Mama, can I fish? Can I? Can I?”

“No! We are almost late for the fireworks! Do you want to watch them or not?”

“Yes, but I want to fish too!”

“You have to choose one or the other.”

“I want both! Let me have both!”

“Taka! Listen to me, okay?”

“I want to fish! I want to fish! And I want fireworks!” he yelled.

“Machako want firework,” her quiet daughter suddenly said and shocked Kuririn. Masako was the opposite of her brother. She rarely says anything, let alone express what she wants. Her declaration made Masataka stop yelling.

“Fine! We will watch the fireworks,” he said and Kuririn sighed in relief. “But only for Masako!”

Kuririn had to drag him back to Niou’s waiting spot because he kept looking everywhere else and begging to stop at places.

“Masaharu! Please hold on to Taka and keep an eye on him,” she said when she finally sees him.

“I thought you didn’t trust me with the kids,” he said.

“What are you talking about, Masaharu? I am already tired; just don’t start something!”

Niou shrugged and lifted Masataka in his arms. “Where did you run off to, you brat?” Niou grinned at his son who laughed in return.

“Mama won’t let me fish,” he said.

“Did she? Papa will bring you fishing next time, but its soooo boring~”

“Papa has fished before?” Masataka asked, looking incredulously at his father.

“Yes~ one of your mother’s senpais’ husbands has a dreadfully boring hobby.”

Masataka laughed and Kuririn calmed down. Niou was especially good at handling their overactive son.





“Mama, can Masako and I watch from over there?” Masataka asked excitedly and points to the top of a tree, holding Masako’s hand.

“Taka, it’s too dangerous. What if you or Masako falls?”

“I will hold on to Masako tightly. I won’t let her fall!”

“But—“

“Let them go Kuririn,” Niou said and wrapped an arm around her shoulder.

“But…”

“I am sure Masataka is responsible enough to take care of his sister.”

“Yes! Because I am the older brother! I will protect Masako forever!” Masataka declared.

“See?”

“Fine,” Kuririn gave in. “But only if Masako wants to go.”

“Do you want to go?” Masataka asked her and she nodded.

“Be careful,” Niou said and they ran off to climb the tree. Kuririn sat on a nearby bench and Niou sat beside her, gently brushing her hair and pushing her head against his shoulder. She didn’t fight him and only sigh in contentment.

“Tired?”

“How can I not be?”

He kissed the top of her head. “It’s because you worry too much.”

“I don’t!” Kuririn protested and sat upright, feeling a bit offended. She had knocked the bottom of his chin with her head in her haste to sit up, but didn’t even feel sorry about it. Her own head was hurting. Niou gently rubbed the top of her head.

“Does it hurt?”

“You bet it does,” she said. A second later, the fireworks started shooting up at the sky and Kuririn went back to leaning against his shoulder.

“Masaharu…”

“What?”

“Will you stay with me forever? Will you promise to never leave me?” she whispered. Niou had a hard time catching the things she said, but he had heard what he needed. Niou groped the inside of his pocket and took out a plain silver ring.

“I am still in the process of getting rich, so…” he took her left hand and slipped the ring on her finger, “One day; there will be a diamond on it.”

Kuririn looked into his eyes, feeling tearful with joy. “Usually people would ask for someone’s hand in marriage by kneeling down and asking.”

“I don’t ask,” Niou scoffed, “That’s for people with no confidence. I know you want me.”

She rolled her eyes and averted her gaze.

“Yeah, I do.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment